Some notes before you explore:
- One of us (or both) has read each and every book on these lists. We think they are worth reading. If a book you love is not on our list, it doesn't meant we don't "like" it--it could very well mean we haven't read it yet! Feel free to send in suggestions, but no promises ☺.
- There is lots of overlap.
- Age/grade ranges reflect general interest levels/maturity/reading "level"/etc. Feel free to read up or down; you know your child/self, and can adapt accordingly.
- Remember that you can read aloud from a book from an "older" category to a younger child, but use discretion as well (some content in older categories might be more mature than you would prefer your 4-year-old hearing).
- There is no one perfect book list; no list of "books-you-must-read-to-be-well-educated-or-the-best-Christian-or...."
- Let kids read what they're interested in as much as you can. Motivation is a powerful factor in the love of reading.
- Books are linked to reviews on this site, if available.
Megan's Top 100 (or, rather, 70)
Beginning Reader Favorites
Kindergarten (4-6 Year Olds)
1st-2nd Grade (6-8 Year Olds)
2nd-3rd Grade (7-9 Year Olds)
3rd-4th Grade (8-10 Year Olds)
4th-5th Grade (9-11 Year Olds)
5th-6th Grade (10-12 Year Olds)