Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Little Bit About Betsy

We have some FANTASTIC interviews coming up, but we thought we'd take some time to interview ourselves first. So, here are my answers to the interview questions we're sending out.

Getting to Know You  (the short and sweet section)

1. What is an early book you remember reading in your childhood?
Frog and Toad! I also devoured Nancy Drew/Hardy Boy books, the "Anne" books, and the Ramona books. And I remember my mother reading the Little Bear books, the Narnia Chronicles, and George and Martha books to us. (All of which I thoroughly enjoyed!)

2. Is there a favorite poem or literary passage you have memorized, perhaps from your childhood?
"Sick" by Shel Silverstein was an early favorite of mine--and one I still know. I also memorized lots of Scripture which I still know.

3. Who are three of your favorite authors? What is your favorite hot beverage?
So hard to narrow down the authors! Edith Schaeffer (nonfiction), Jerry Bridges (nonfiction), and George MacDonald (fantasy works in particular) come to mind. So do Madeleine L'Engle, Annie Dillard, Lee Smith, C. S. Lewis, Jane Austen, N. D. Wilson, Gary D. Schmidt, Arnold Lobel, Beverly Cleary, Lloyd Alexander, Edith Nesbit, Jeanne Birdsall, Katherine Paterson, Megan Whalen Turner, .... I could go on and on, particularly when it comes to children's literature--but that's why I do this blog with Megan!
Hot beverage: Easy--tea! Especially a good, strong black tea.

4. What do you enjoy doing with your children and your family?
Reading (of course), hiking/spending time outside, drinking tea, singing hymns (my husband is an amazing pianist, so that adds to our family hymn sings!), cooking/baking, and travel.

5. Do you have other hobbies than reading/writing?
Hmm... this question is really more for actual authors, but I since I definitely DO read as a hobby (and write--if this blog and similar pursuits count), I'll answer it. Cooking, gardening, hiking, sewing.

6. If you could recommend a book to our audience that you haven't written yourself, what would it be? (fiction/nonfiction/poetry; children's or adult)
I'll defer our lovely readers to the multiple books on our book lists and book reviews!

Your Work (medium answers)

7. Can you tell us anything about an early story or poem that you wrote--perhaps one you blush to recall but your mother or your spouse kept it anyway?
I don't know that I wrote anything, really, that my mom kept. I do remember passionately wanting to be a writer as I consumed Emily of New Moon and Anne of Green Gables. One time, I'd just listened to Pachelbel's Canon and then wrote a VERY flowery passage that I thought was absolutely brilliant. My mother was not as impressed as I was :-).

8. How many times did you have to send off a manuscript before you first published a work? Do you work through an agent? 

9. What is your favorite of your own books? 

A Bit More Philosophical Now
10. How would you define Truth and Story in literature? 

Again, I'll defer the reader to the definitions we've already written!



We have several interviews planned, some of which are only in the pipe dream stage, and some of which have actually been completed. Stay tuned for Megan's "interview," and then for our upcoming interview with Gary D. Schmidt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Prove you're a real person, please.