Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Lion and the Mouse

The Lion and the Mouse
Jerry Pinkney
2009
Caldecott Medal

How can you not pick up this book when you see that cover??? I remember first reading this book the month it came out in a bookstore with my kids while we were waiting on something. We just marveled at it. As I've mentioned before, I think Pinkney's illustrations are amazing. When it won the Caldecott, I was delighted--obviously others are recognizing its greatness, too!

In this retelling of the classic fable, the lion and the mouse are both expertly portrayed. The tenderness, the arrested motion , the way the illustrations carry the narrative from page to page--very few words are needed, and, thankfully, Pinkney doesn't use many words. This is a must see and must read. It's a book to savor and pour over.

Recommended for all! Especially the preschool-early elementary crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Prove you're a real person, please.