Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Clementine

Clementine
Sara Pennypacker, author
Marla Frazee, illustrator
2006
Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor Book

Clementine will remind you of the Ramona books! This is the first in a series about a third grader named Clementine who has such brilliant ideas and pays attention so well and just wants to help people out... but somehow is constantly getting into trouble or messing things up.

Told in Clementine's droll voice, this short early chapter book covers one mere week in Clementine's eventful life. Both grownups and children will appreciate Clementine's struggles to do the right thing and find her commentary on life amusing. Here is a short snippet from the opening of chapter 3:

"'I'd better not go to school today,' I told my mom on Wednesday as soon as I woke her up. 'I have cracked toes.' I put my foot right up on the pillow next to her face so she could see without getting up. This is called Being Thoughtful."

Sprinkled with charming illustrations throughout, this is a terrific book to hand to the young elementary students in your life who need a genuinely funny book about being yourself. (Besides, don't you think "Pennypacker" is just the perfect name for a children's book author? Marvelous)

Recommended for early-mid elementary

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Prove you're a real person, please.