Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for the Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children

The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for the Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children
Lou Priolo
Calvery Press
1997

We don't use a rating system on this blog (yet), but if we did, this parenting book would receive my highest rating. I don't know about you, but reading a really great, biblically based parenting book helps me "get back in the fight." I'm not referring to fighting against my children and making them bend to my wishes; no, I'm talking about fighting FOR my children--for their souls, for their training in godliness, for their heart condition. Sometimes this involves conflict between us as parents and our children; it should involve much more, though, and books like Priolo's Heart of Anger cover that "more."

So what makes this particular parenting book so great? There are others out there (and I hope to review some of them, too!). But I really appreciate Priolo's approach and wisdom:

  1. Examine YOUR heart first. Are you provoking your children to anger? (even unwittingly)
  2. Praise and encourage your child. (in addition to discipline--basically, don't overlook the importance of the positive)
  3. The Gumnaizo Principle (train, train, train--practice makes permanent)
  4. Call a spade a spade: If it's sin, then label the behavior/attitude/word as sin, not a "phase" or some other nonsense.
  5. KNOW YOUR BIBLE and USE it--just reading this book makes you realize how much more you need to read your Bible. 
  6. Recognize manipulation in your children--you'd be surprised!
  7. Strategies for getting at... you guessed it... the heart of anger.
Priolo does advocate spanking in the right context. I know some parents who don't believe in spanking. But I know others who err too much on the side of spanking and don't sprinkle in enough positive. Priolo seems to balance both. I found his approach unstinting in regard to truth, but gentle and affirming at the same time.

Bottom line: This book will challenge you to examine your own heart, to look for opportunities to discern your child's heart, and to spend more time in the Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! Prove you're a real person, please.